Economics Department Scholarship
Scholarships are made possible by generous donors who have contributed to BYU Economics to assist economics majors in obtaining their education.
- These scholarships are awarded on a rolling basis as a student's need arises.
- To be eligible, the student must be a declared econ major, have taken or are currently enrolled in at least one economics course, and be enrolled in a minimum of 12 credit hours if applying for fall or winter semesters, and 6 credit hours if applying for spring or summer terms.
- See application here.
The purpose of this scholarship is to provide some financial support for students facing significant financial needs who are unable to obtain financial support from other means (such as employment, other scholarships, or appropriate amounts of student debt). An important part of your application for this scholarship is demonstrating the existence of such significant financial needs that cannot be met through other means.
Examples of circumstances that would qualify as significant financial needs include (but are not limited to): experiencing significant physical or mental health challenges that tax financial resources and impinge on ability to work, death of a family member or other significant loss in family support that reduces financial support, inability to work additional hours due to international visa restrictions, etc.
Examples of circumstances that would not qualify as significant financial needs for this scholarship (though laudable as they may be) include: wanting to take additional courses/spend more time on schoolwork, wanting to avoid incurring any student debt/saving money for future graduate programs, or seeking financial support to pursue an unpaid internship.
- These scholarships are awarded for each fall, winter and spring/summer semesters.
- To be eligible, students must be a declared econ major, have taken at least one economics course at BYU, and are enrolled in a minimum of 12 credit hours for fall or winter semesters, and 6 credit hours for spring and summer terms.
- There is no application required for this scholarship.
Merit-based scholarships will be awarded automatically based on GPA criteria which will be determined for each specific semester/term. Students will be informed via Y-Message if they are a recipient of this department scholarship; those who receive these scholarships are still expected to send a thank you letter to our donors for the funding.