History of the Economics Department
Brigham Young University’s first course in economics was taught in 1895 and the Department of Economics was established in 1921. Currently, approximately 24 faculty members are housed in the department. Their varied research fields include international trade, migration, health, labor, disability, education, family, urban, industrial organization, environmental, financial, and monetary economics. Also, applied micro, game theory, industry dynamics, econometrics, applied econometrics, law and economics, development economics, political economy, economic theory, and microeconomic theory.
Economics examines how individuals and societies choose to allocate scarce resources among competing uses, and the consequences of those choices. A broad range of contemporary policy issues are studied in fields such as natural resources and environmental economics, economic development and growth, international trade and finance, economic history, the organization of industries, the development and efficiency of law, business cycles, labor markets, and public and private finance.
Students who study economics pursue careers as professional economists (in business, government, or academia) as well as careers in law, medicine, and business; which often requires training beyond a bachelor’s in economics. Other possible careers economics students pursue include — but are not limited to— analyst, economic consultant, financial planner, investment banker, policy analyst, management consultant, and stock broker.
Housed in the historic Faculty Office Building (FOB) from 1983 through 2019, the Economics Department is now located in the West View Building, built on the same site as the FOB, with construction completed in 2020.